Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Monday, November 25, 2013

Grandparent's Day

The Powells' now have 3 kids in elementary school. About a week ago, Sadie called me and asked me if I could help out on Grandparent's day since they only have 2 grandparents that live locally. Of course I said yes! When I told Ammon what I was going to do, he said if I was going to go, I should really look the part! So we bought a grandma wig and grandma glasses; unfortunately the glasses didn't arrive in time :(
So this morning I got all ready to go - wig and all, and went to the elementary school. The school serves all the grandparents a light breakfast, and then each grade came in and sang us a song. I was sitting at a table right by where the kids lined up before going up on stage. When Avri saw me, she couldn't stop smiling and giggling! She obviously loved it! When Talmage saw me, he kept looking at me, looking away, looking at me, looking away, etc. Each time he looked at me he gave me a "half" smile (no teeth). When Sadie saw me, she looked away and then refused to look at me again. After the kids were done singing, we got to go visit the kids in their classrooms and do an activity with them. The school divide the time in the classroom into two parts (so grandparents could go to 2 classes). I went to Sadie's class first. When I went in all the kids were sitting on the carpet. I said hi to Sadie, but she wouldn't stand up or acknowledge me. So I went over to her, grabbed her hand and had to help her stand up. Almost the whole time I was in her classroom, she sat with her hand over her mouth - never talking to me - and hardly looked at me. I was so incredibly disappointed. I really thought she would think it was funny! I was sure that I had taken this special day and made it awful for Sadie. The second half of the time I went to Avri's classroom. She was all smiles and thought the wig was great. We did our activity together chatting and having a good time!

After it was all over, when I was in the car, Carrie called me. She had gone to Sadie's room after I had left. Carrie said that Sadie was really quiet at first, but once she opened up, she told Grandma, "Did you see Allison? She had a wig on! It was gray and curly!" And she was very amused and thought it was funny! I was so glad that Carrie told me this; now I know I didn't scar Sadie for life! I think because she wasn't expecting the wig, she was kind of embarrassed and didn't know how to react. But after she had some time to think about it, she decided she really liked it!

1 comment:

  1. You are a darling aunt! Your nieces and nephews are lucky to have you there for another year. :-)

    ReplyDelete